The recipe says perfect every time...well unless your Nat and screw it up :)
I'm just going to write down the recipe exactly like I have it and I'll type my notes in ( )
In Bosch Universal mixer bowl with dough hook:
- 6 C warm water, approx. 115 degrees
- 2 TBS sea salt (Or real salt is even better but it is more expensive)
- 2/3 C Canola Oil (I used Extra virgin olive oil and they said coconut oil is really healthy but more expensive)
- 2/3 C Honey (my MIL said to use 1 C so I use 1 C)
- 3 TBS Dough enhancer
- 2 C High Gluten Bread Flour OR 1/3 C vital wheat Gluten (I use 1/3 C vital wheat gluten)
- 3 TBS SAF instant yeast
- 6-8 C of fresh ground flour (just to begin with; 10-11 cups of un-ground grain will make enough flour for this recipe)
Use the momentary switch (M) to mix well (this is just on a bosch. at the bread making class they said that you have to be very careful with a kitchen aid because this recipe will often burn out the motor) Turn the machine to speed 1 and continue to add wheat flour ONLY until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. When you can see the sides pull clean as well as the dough coming clean from the bottom of the bowl you know you have enough flour. (Do NOT add too much flour) the dough should be very sticky and does not come together at this point, but the bowl is clean.
Knead on speed 2 for 8-10 minutes or until the gluten has been developed. If you feel your dough is too dry, simply add a few tablespoons of water to moisten. (Always pulling the sides clean) if the dough starts sticking simply add a little white flour to take up the moisture.
(At the bread class they say that adding white flour is used to change the consistancy. Enriched/white four is a hallow empty filler - just DON'T add fresh wheat flour after you've mixed the ingredients because it needs to be developed)
(Another note from the bread class: If the pulling the sides clean 1/2 way through mixing or at 4 minutes it needs more water)
Oil your hands, remove dough fom mixer onto a slightly oiled counter, divide your dough into 4-5 2lb loaves for 81/2 by 4 1/2 pan, or 9-11 12 oz loaves for 5 1/2 x 3. Because we never measure our flour exactly, the number of loaves varies; it all depends on the weather and the climate outside.
Shape loaves, and place in a well greased or sprayed pan, never use oil. (If you are using a bosch - don't over knead it - the bosch did all the work). Cover with a dry towel and let rise until dough has risen double or approx 2 inches above the rim of the pan. This will take from 30 - 60 minutes depending on the room temperature.
(Quick rise opt: warm oven to 200Deg then TURN IT OFF and leave it open a crack and stick the bread in and it will rise faster - dont forget to turn it OFF. Set a timer so you don't forget about it)
Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until the inside temp is 200. An instant read thermometer is very usefull in telling whether your bread is done. Test after baking time is complete by taking bread out of its pan and pushing the thermometer into side or bottom of loaf. If not 200 deg place back in pan and bake another few minutes.
Cool on cooking racks before putting into bread bas. The bread can be frozen up to 30 days without freezer burn.
Freeze immediatly after cooling bread to keep it fresh. Bread at room temp will only last 2-3 days w/out going moldy. In fridge it will last 7-10 days.
Multi-Grainand seed bread:
- 6 C warm water, aprox 115
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 2/3 C Canola oil
- 2/3 C Honey
- 3 TBSP Dough enhancer
- 3 C High Gluten bread flour (low carb, use 3/4C vital wheat)
- 3 TBSP Saf instant yeast
- 4 C of fresh bround wheat flour
- 2 C ground spelt flour (1 1/2 C unground)
- 2 C Ground Kamut flour (1 1/2 C unground)
- 6-8 C of un-ground wheat grain wil make enough flour for this recipe
- 2 C Multi-grain/seed mix, unground (pre-packaged in the refrigerator)
- 1/2 C nine grain cracked cereal
- 1/2 C sunflower seeds
1/3 C millet
- 1/3 C Flax seed
- 1/3 C Sesame Seed
- 1/3 C Amaranth
Then follow the same directions as above.
WHOLE WHEAT APPLE CINNAMON BREAD
- 3 C warm water, aprox 115
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 1/3 C Canola oil
- 1/3 C honey or Xagave
- 2 Tbs Dough enhancer
- 1 C high gluten bread flour OR 1/3 C vital wheat gluten
- 3-4 C of fresh ground flour
- 2 TBS saf instant yeast
Use the Momentary switch (M) to mix well. Turn the machine to speed 1.
Continue to add:
- 5-6 C fresh ground whole wheat flour
Only until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. When you can see the sides pull clean as well as the dough coming clean from the bottom of the bowl you know you have enough flour. Do not add too much flour. The dough should be slightly sticky and does not come together at this point, but the bowl is clean
Knead on speed 2 for 8-10 minutes or until the gluten has been developed. If you feel your dough is too dry, simply add a few tablespoons of water to moisten. (always pulling the sides clean) if dough starts sticking simply add a little white flour to take up the moisure. During the last 30 sec of kneading add:
- 2 C fresh apple dices
- 2 C cinnaomon baking chips
- (Nat reccomends adding raisins as well if you like them)
- &/OR roll the dough out add brown sugar and cinnamon chips and rollit up and you have a cinnamon roll - makes great french toast!!
Oil your hands, remove dough from mixer onto a slightly oiled counter, divide your dough into 12 oz loaves for 5 1/2" x 3" pan. Shape loaves, and place in well greased or sprayed pan, never use oil. Cover with a dry towel and let rise until dough has doubled in size.
Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 20-25 min, or until the inside temp is t00. Tests after baking time is complete by taking bread out of its pan and pushing the thermometer into side or bottom of laof. If not 200 place back in pan and bake another few min.